Monday, December 12, 2005

People like you are the reason people like me need medication.

I was reminded today of an incident from my past that while making me look like a complete idiot, still made me laugh, then and now. They say it's healthy to laugh at oneself--it helps if one is laughably stupid at times.

I living in Oakland, California in a beautiful one-bedroom apartment near Lake Merrit. The rent for this spacious and well appointed apartment was a miraculous $610, and that included a parking space in a secure garage. And it was only about 10 years ago; how stupid was I for moving, eh? The same apartment now is undoubtedly nearing $1500 or $1600 now, if not more.

*sigh*

What is that about hindsight? 20/20 vision? Something like that. I should have eyes of an eagle by now, an eagle with lasik surgery, even. Criminy.

When parking in my parking space in my secure garage at my spacious, well appointed $610 one-bedroom apartment in Oakland, I would always park head-in, and then back-out.

(Let me confess right now that I can be sarcastic at the wrong time.)

Let me set it up for you:

Early Spring Morning outside my parking garage in Oakland.

Neighbor (whom I had never before met): Wow...you back out every day?

Me: (Alright, snidely) I guess it's just as easy as backing IN every day.

I got in my car as she watched and backed out of my space. As my car passed through the garage door opening, I proceeded to scrape the entire passenger door along the garage door. Loudly.

Of course, I kept going as though there was nothing unusual.

*sigh*